All that remains are memories – YVR Rao Uncle!


It was Wednesday, 12th February 2020. It was also Sankashti Chathurthi, a highly auspicious day in the Hindu calendar dedicated to Lord Ganesha – the one who provides we beings with boundless energy to overcome any obstacles, be it personal or professional. It was also the day when YVR Rao uncle left us all for heavenly abode. Lord Ganesha – in you we entrust YVR Rao uncle and am sure you will look after him very well!

A sense of disbelief and shock took over our household, when we got to know of his ill-health in the first week of February. It seemed an uphill task for uncle, but he had fought and overcome adversity previously as well. Deep down in my heart, I believed that he would fight through again and come out a victor. I have never seen anybody fight adversity like uncle: Cheerful and Smiling, as though treating adversity with contempt!

The sight of him @ Apollo was inspiring – he was fighting it out, recognized all of us, spoke a few words but was not willing to give up. A 1-1 conversation happened between uncle and I, holding his hands I willed him on: “Common Uncle, you have fought many a tough battle. You will fight through and come back for us to go and have a GTR Masala Dose together.” His response was: “I will, but I am tired”. We looked into each other’s eyes with unconditional love, compassion & wishing each other good. This was how it was always between uncle & I.

When you receive/give love from/to someone unconditionally, there is a very deep connect. And when that someone is as special as Rao uncle, telepathy just takes over. I was fidgety through the day (12th February 2020)since early morning and my mind would just not calm down. Having come home slightly ahead of my usual time to get to the temple for Sankashti, I just wanted to know how was uncle faring after having moved back home. While we drove down to the temple, we got the news that just numbed us – Uncle had passed away in the morning hours. Meeting Aunty, Anupa & Vedu over this weekend at their Bogadhi house to share common grief seemed surreal. My eyes looked out for uncle the moment I walked in and I could see him everywhere in the house. It was as though, he was there and talking to all of us.

Memories are all that remain, and my memories of uncle are afresh, as though they are from recent past. Those memories include a lot of unconditional love showered on to me by both Aunty and Uncle.

The earliest memory was when both of them would come by to Sri Ramakrishna Vidyashala to look me up. I had heard so much about them from Amma and Appa. To see them in real and experience the love they had for me and our family was blissful. Uncle’s towering yet charming personality and Aunty’s motherly affection is something I will cherish all my life. For a single child far away from parents in a residential school, their visits were priceless!

The next memory was during my engineering days in Mysore. There was a family get together @ New Shanthi Sagar, Kuvempunagar organized by Aunty and Uncle. Amma and Appa could not make it. Given that I was locally available, I was asked to go. Shanthi Sagar in late 90s used to be any engineering graduate’s once in a month fancy 😊. The foodie in me won and I landed up. Meeting the Aunty, Uncle & Anupa (first time) and the entire family was priceless. In no time, I was made comfortable despite not knowing most of the extended family. This will remain very close to my heart, as I got to know the family from closer quarters.

It almost became a routine over the past 20 odd years. Whenever we were in Mysore, we would visit aunty and uncle without fail. Whenever, they came to Bangalore, they would visit us. On both the occasions, memories would come gushing out for Aunty, Uncle, Amma and Appa. There would be the odd old instance that would have all of us breaking into laughter as a single family 😊. Any family function/occasion, the participation would be whole hearted. Anupa’s house warming ceremony and my wedding are just a few examples of many such coming together of our families.

There is an English adage “Familiarity breeds contempt”. Fools are we who live by this. “Familiarity should breed love, compassion and empathy”. Uncle epitomized this from the time I have known him. Am sure most of his acquaintances and family will vouch for this.

There is an odd tear that escapes my eyes today. But be rest assured uncle, you have only brought smiles to a whole lot of us and made a difference to our lives.

Wherever you are, keep smiling and be the guardian angel for all of us. You will always remain in our hearts and minds.

Till we meet again, adios YVR Rao Uncle 😊!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

80 is the new 40 - C'mon Pops, my evergreen hero :)..

Can we be the voice of the Poor & Needy?

25th March 2020 – Unique Ugadi (Covid-19 ke side effects 😊)