Honky Conky........

Bangalore's most talked claim to fame are the traffic jams that commuters like me and other bangaloreans face very often!!!!! Peak hours are quite terrible with traffic moving at snails pace. What would take 15 minutes normally takes anywhere between 30 to 45 minutes during the peak hours (8:30 AM - 11:00AM & 6:00PM to 8:00 PM).

What makes these traffic jams quite hard to endure are the constant honking of the frustrated commuter. The commuter finds honking his vehicle's horns as a convenient way of venting his frustration and anger - Not that it helps in reducing the frustration in any way. My honking may cause frustration to you and the loop is just endless. The stress that one endures during the traffic hours do take a toll on oneself.

Most of the days, given my temper (the least said the best), i end up coming to the office in the most wretched of moods cursing the "Audacious" autorickshaw driver or the "Careless"cab driver or the "Bold & Bloody" BMTC driver or the "Terrible" Traffic Cop who would do nothing to apply his common sense in handling tight congestions.

Let me get back to my "Honking Horn" & its tale. I feel Honking is a hazardous addiction which one can ill afford to catch on to. I as any other commuter use my horn to indicate my presence as a key stake holder in the traffic. I use my honk to indicate my superiority in terms of intention in overtaking a not so fast bike or rick. I also use my honk at times as a good source of enjoyment, honking myself to glory to the total amazement of the bystanders or fellow commuters. I use it at my will at places where in i deem it necessary and where i feel its worthwhile to honk (apart from the exception at times where i just intend to have some fun).

My problem started / ended (depends on how you look at it) the day my honky went conky a month and half ago. The first few days were absolute nightmare, as i was renderred helpless without the horn. I was wondering how will i now overtake or even move around generally without the horn. I wanted to get it repaired the very next day, but for some reason have not been able to get it done till today.

No Regrets..... Trust me i do not regret having not got my horn fixed till date. I have learnt few great lessons in terms of handling traffic better in bangalore. I have become compassionate towards other commuters and i respect them for whatever and whoever they are. There were days when i used to go behind a reckless rick driver honking my horn, overtaking him and giving him a piece of my mind in the most obtrusive of languages. Now, i just ignore him and smile at his and the passenger's plight and pray for their safety.

The compassion towards fellow commuters has made me patient. I am quite fine today to let go an onrushing BMTC bus or a Cabbie. I also have cut down the unnecesaary frills from my driving (like overtaking from left or trying to hurry down a narrow path with a loud honk). This has lead to me driving safe and reaching my office with a sincere smile. I have now started to enjoy the traffic in Bangalore, as i see different characters in the jam. Each one trying to outsmart, outwit the other in this rate race to perish faster (either through an accident or a stress related disease).

This has lead to an increase in the productivity at my workplace!!!!! I am more happy and content and have established a positive perspective towards life. Ignore what irritates you and be compassionate towards others, be it traffic or workplace or life in general.

I will get my Honking Horn fixed this week, but will make sure i use it judiciously.

Three cheers to the Conked Honk that taught me great lessons of life..........

Comments

Mysorean said…
Interesting use of "honk" to mean horn! :D

The Shakespeare in me wants to tell you that you are not only wrong but it makes the whole post sound very weird.

But, I will spare you. Considering that I got the essence of your post. Being compassionate to and patient with other people!

Popular posts from this blog

80 is the new 40 - C'mon Pops, my evergreen hero :)..

Can we be the voice of the Poor & Needy?