80 is the new 40 - C'mon Pops, my evergreen hero :)..

As I sit down to put my thoughts today, words fail me. Not because, I have nothing to write. I am unable to figure out where to start from. But start, I must. Write, I must. I have never been the best when it comes to expressing my emotions face to face. I have always hidden behind the garb of writing/penning my thoughts down as an easier way out. Maybe, that is my comfort zone 😊!

But this post is not about me. It is about a thoroughbred gentleman, because of who, I am in existence today – My dearest Appa 😊!

I have tried to bring as part of this blog some known and unknown facets about Appa in no order as such. For those who know him for longer than I, please feel free to add in your best moments with him in the comments section. For those who don’t know him, I have tried to put some thoughts interlaced with memories.

Many happy returns of the day, Pops! 80 does not come easy and to everyone. As we celebrate your 80th birthday today, I bow in absolute gratitude to the God Almighty for giving you good health and your continued presence in our humble abode.



In you, I see a hard-working, service oriented & persistent man, who till this day goes about his daily chores with minimum fuss. No expectations from anyone, but always willing to lend a helping hand or a shoulder. A content and cheerful demeanor, that brightens up this house of ours and uplifts the spirits of anyone who comes in contact with you. A curious mind – to read, to unlearn, to learn and bring it to daily practice. A loving & an open heart – to accept people, behaviors & circumstances, as they are and yet not judge. A man of complete honesty & integrity! Simple are the ways of life, as you have aptly demonstrated and continue to do so till date. The ability to hold on to your values and ideals yet put others before self is core to your existence. You were, are and will always remain my role model and guiding light. I try every day to improve myself and live by these ideals. I still have a long way to go….

An avid sports enthusiast, with a very strong bias (love) towards Tennis 😊! I still remember those days in Kudremukha when yourself, Amma and I would get to “The Club” in the Yezdi, our priced possession then. I would tag along with you to watch you play Tennis. Never understood the sport then, but it was an early & good initiation to the world of sports. And yes, who can forget your duels with A-listers from the “Film Industry”, who would visit Kudremukha for movie making and insist on a set or two with you. The rapt attention & enthusiasm with which you watch FedEx, Rafa or Novak battle it now, is the same with what you would watch an Edberg, Becker, Lendl battle it out during the early days of Television. Hopefully, someday we could go to one or all of the Grand Slams in the near future!

Your love for Man U (EPL) & Real Madrid (La Liga) rivals my love for Arsenal (EPL) & Barcelona (La Liga). That’s a friendly rivalry in the backyard, with an odd banter over a win/loss for each other’s favorite 😊. Someday, let us do Old Trafford & Santiago Bernebeu!

With IPL in full fervor, who can dispute our common love for “Namma RCB”. Despite heartbreaks, we still hope year after year, season after season for the #ESCN to become a reality 😊.  Hopefully 2020 is the year, Mr. Kohli, please win it for Appa 😊! Always game to get to the Chinnaswamy Stadium to watch Ranji Trophy, IPL or Test Match. Your enthusiasm for the sport is infectious.

I am transported back in time to Kudremukha again. It would be the room in the cellar, old cassettes playing Hindi Music. You would be working away on the iron box & whistling away to Hindi Songs 😊(Mohd. Rafi + Shammi Kapoor). Your love for good music transcended the language barriers. We have been to numerous music shows over the past 2-3 years and seeing you relish, enjoy and at times get disappointed (owing to a specific number not be part of the list) are memories that I cherish the most. Our biggest regret on this front is having missed out on the SPB Concert last year in Bangalore, despite having tickets for the same. Hopefully, when things do get better, there maybe a show dedicated to SPB @ Chowdaiah Memorial!

The movie buff in you needs special mention. Always game for a movie, be it Kannada, Hindi, Tamil or English. Early Evening, Evening or Night Shows would not dampen your spirit. PVR @Forum Mall – Koramangala has always been our Go To Movie Adda. I have lost the count of movies that we have gone to, but will always cherish those wonderful memories & moments that we spent together as family.

Your love for good food is as simple as the way you have lived your life till date. MTR Masala Dose, Rave Idly, Dahi Vade + Badam Halwa, Vidyarthi Bhavan Masala Dose, GTR Masala Dose + Poori Saagu, Sukh Sagar Koramangala Roti + Dal Palak(without Garlic) + Aloo Jeera, French Fries (anywhere, anytime), Good Filter Coffee Or Tea are some that come to my mind. Your special liking for Vade Sambhar is worth a mention, given the banter that comes from Amma every time we get into a hotel 😊. Your love for good sweets (home made & bought from the shops) is probably the reason of such sweetness in your heart and soul!

Appa, you spent a good 47 years of your life, working hard to provide for us & make us feel comfortable. In this entire melee, you have sacrificed many a times on personal needs like many men of your generation may have. It is time to put out a bucket list and seek possible avenues to make it happen. Needless to state, I pray to God Almighty to give you good health and also grant me the capability to make these happen for you.

Appa, many happy returns of the day again to you.

Keep Smiling, Keep Inspiring!

Comments

Putholi said…
Beautifully Penned KP. Seems that he is one of Dream Dad any kid would want. Best wishes to the Every youthful Hero APPA. Let him go on to score a TON and be unbeaten.

With love
Putholi
Putholi said…
And not to say, wish to meet him sometime soon.
KP said…
He has and continues to be a Dream Dad Putholi. More than what i could have asked for. Thank you for your kind wishes and yes, i hope so to that he gets to 100 with good health. You are most welcome to our home, whenever you are in Bangalore next. Appa will be super happy to meet you :).
Hey KP, I must say, it's an awesome read of your experiences with him, your 'SuperHero'!!! Wishing him a Very Happy birthday & good health, for many more birthday celebrations. Lots of love.
Rgds, Narayan
Sumanth Chavan said…
So very well written KP. I wish your dad a very happy birthday. Keep rocking you both ������
Chandrashekar Mahadev said…
Very well written and inspiring story KP.Pray god to shower uncle with all the blessings. I still remember those days where we went for Ranji matches supporting Karnataka and cheering Vinay and his team. Wish to join the RCB or Ranji matches in coming days once things improve. HAPPY BIRTHDAY UNCLE.. STAY HEALTHY...
Kallol said…
I can relate very well to what you have written KP! Your dad is a phenomenal person and no doubt he is your hero. Wish him a very happy birthday and a safe year ahead.
Vinod Kumar B24 said…
First of all Many Happy Returns of the Day to Anantha Uncle. A milestone reached and still running forward to achieve more. A well written blog dedicated to dad. Gives the reader a crisp summary of his work life and interests. Enjoyed reading. Reminded me of my dad and my trips to Kudremukh. Pass on my wishes to uncle.God bless. With love, Vinod
Sharat Atri said…
Beautiful KP! We take our dads/moms for granted mostly. Granted may not be the word but we don't express enough.. Nice to see this..
Happy birthday to uncle and God bless him with long life, health and happiness.
Unknown said…
Terrific stuff!! Thoroughly enjoyed the read!!

Plz convey my Bday Wishes to ur Dad!!

Amit Tewari said…
Very Well written KP.I wish belated Happy Birthday to Uncle.🎂🎁💐
Wow KP, it’s pure thoughts and emotions playing in my kind when I went through it:-) honestly my friend it’s a great feeling to read the blog. I will treasure for this long l.. Off-course we all have heroes who’s has helped us to be a better person in Life. I shall meet your Dad sometime soon... once again wishing him healthy and stronger life.

Popular posts from this blog

Can we be the voice of the Poor & Needy?

25th March 2020 – Unique Ugadi (Covid-19 ke side effects 😊)